Summer Code Jam 2021
Twice a year we host a code jam for members of our server to participate in. The code jam is an event where we place you in a team with 5 other random server members. You then have 8 days to code some sort of application or program in Python. Your program must use the specified technology/framework and incorporate the theme chosen by the server.
After the 8 days is complete, your team has 3 days to finish documentation and create a video presentation showcasing and walking through the program that your team has created.
- Tuesday, June 15 - Form to submit theme suggestions opens
- Monday, June 21 - The Qualifier is released
- Friday, June 25 - Voting for the theme opens
- Saturday, June 26 @ 4PM UTC- GitHub Bootcamp
- Wednesday, July 1 - The Qualifier closes
- Friday, July 9 @ 5PM UTC - Code Jam begins and the theme is announced
- Saturday, July 17 @ 5PM UTC - Coding portion of the jam ends
- Tuesday, July 20 - Code Jam submissions are closed and video presentation must be submitted
The chosen technology/tech stack for this year is Text User Interfaces (TUIs). Each team must create a program with one of the approved frameworks that creates a user interface that is text based. For more information of TUIs and what's involved with such an interface, check out this wikipedia article.
The qualifier is a coding challenge that you are required to complete before registering for the code jam. This is meant as a basic assessment of your skills to ensure you have enough python knowledge to effectively contribute in a team environment.
- The qualifier must be completed using Python 3.9
- No external modules are allowed, only those available through the standard library.
- The Qualifier must be submitted through the Code Jam sign-up form.
63 teams started out on July 9th 2021. By the end of the jam, 51 teams made project submissions. Check them all out here:
Our Code Jam Sponsors have provided prizes for the winners of the code jam. Also, a big thank you to our Patreon patrons for supporting this server and allowing us to provide our prizes as well.
Scalable compute platform with add-on storage, security, and monitoring capabilities. We make it simple to launch in the cloud and scale up as you grow—whether you’re running one virtual machine or ten thousand.
$250 in DigitalOcean credits to the members of a winning team.
Whatever platform or language you work with, JetBrains has a development tool for you. We help developers work faster by automating common, repetitive tasks to enable them to stay focused on code design and the big picture. We provide tools to explore and familiarize with code bases faster. Our products make it easy for you to take care of quality during all stages of development and spend less time on maintenance tasks.
1-year JetBrain licenses to the members of a winning team.
Tabnine is an AI-powered code completion tool used by millions of devs around the world every day - Tabnine supports dozens of programming languages, in all of your favorite IDEs, saving you tons of time - so that you can type less and code more. Tabnine comes as a plugin and has a free-forever basic plan, so you can get started with it right away!
1-year Pro Licenses to Tabnine to the members of a winning team.